Monday, September 6, 2010

Encounter Activity 1a / Practice Blog Entry

Hello all,

Since I am new to Maryville, I decided to check out the different neighborhoods around town.  As I was driving around, on the East side, this beautiful house caught my eye.  It was a two-story home that was painted bright blue, and it had red and white siding.  There are many nice homes in Maryville, but I chose to discuss this one because I loved the bright colors.  It stood out from the rest of the houses on the block.  On the front porch there were wind chimes hanging, and there was a beautiful, tall spruce tree in the front yard.  In the backyard there was a swing set, and there was a nice four door truck in the driveway.
I believe these residents have good taste, and because of the swing set I believe a family with children live there.  The swing set had both a slide, and a baby swing, which made me picture a family of four.  A mother, father, a baby, and another child around grade school age.  This was like the type of home I grew up in, which is why I wanted to share it with you all.













The next house that caught my eye was also in Maryville.  It was across town, but still on the East side.  I was looking for a house that would be the complete opposite of the first one, and I found it.  This house was only about the size of a one car garage.  It was run down, and the white paint was chipping off the outside walls.  There was a front porch, but it was very small and looked like it was falling apart.  There were branches piled on the porch.  There was no sign of life in the front yard, so I decided to drive around back to see if there was anything else that might give me an insight to who might live there.  Out back, there was nothing but a small grill and a shed (which was bigger and nicer than the house).  Behind the shed there was some junk piled up and couple of old wooden ladders. 
So I assumed, based on my observations, that an old man lived here alone, perhaps a widower, and didn't have the help or strength to keep up the house.  Boy, was I wrong!  I tried to take notes quickly and get out of there, but before I could take another picture I was spotted.  I man came storming out of the house.  He was about 40 years old, had dirty clothes on, and looked very angry.  Before he could get to my car, I just smiled, waved, and sped out of there.  This proves the point that I think this assignment was meant to prove. Don't judge a book by its cover.  "You know what happens when you assume, you make an..." well you know. 


Well, that concludes the first encounter activity. 


Until next time,
Keri Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment