Sunday, September 26, 2010

Undertow

I am going to make an assumption before I even read this.  I was born in California, so every summer we would go back, and during the trip we would go to the ocean.  Where we went, however, was not the safest place to swim because of what my dad called undertow.  He had a friend that got sucked under by it when he was a teenager and died.  Because of that, he would never let us go out farther than waist deep.  So I am going to guess that someone gets sucked under the water, but survives, because I like happy endings.  Okay, time to read...
Okay. Some of my questions have been answered.  First of all, these are the same characters as the last one! So, these must be chapters from a book.  The setting now, I'm guessing late 80's early 90's.  And I was thinking they had to call this guy Sir cause he was some kind of master and they were child laborers. He is there dad, and that's just a silly nickname! Wow.  And for spacial setting, it tells us now that they are in Chicago heading towards the lake.  I was always told that undertow had to be an air pocket in the sand, but if this lake has rocks at the bottom, I was way off on how it's going to end.  Oh! And they are Jewish! Hooray, I learned what I wanted to learn.  I hate when you can't picture the characters because the author doesn't tell you what they look like.  Not that skin color or anything like that matter, but I like having a solid picture in my head, a movie flowing smoothly. 
From what I've read so far, this must be a great book.  The chickenman? Crazy! We had a guy in my hometown we called catman because he's pick up all the stray cats in town and take them home and keep them in his garage. Haha. The gypsies.. that might affect the temporal setting.  When were gypsies in Chicago?  I want to find that out.  I still have a few pages to read and now I'm curious as to how it will end.  These aren't short stories like I thought they were, so there probably won't be the climax at the end I was hoping for. Time to read the rest...
Okay. So Perry did almost drown. And his father! What the hell was he thinking even letting his kids swim in a dangerous area like that.  That's why my dad would never let us go in past our waist.  But I did learn that undertow can be both and air pocket in the sand or a current at the bottom of a river.  You learn something new everyday.  That was the climax I was looking for, so I'm glad it ended that way.

Until next time,

Keri Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment