Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"How to Leave Hialeah"

Hooray!  I love second person narrative.  I was hoping we would read a story like this in this class.  So, this story is about a Cuban American girl that goes through the motions of life, from high school to college to the work place.  She moves across the country and really isn't too far out of the norm (as far as ambitious young adults goes).  I just like reading with this POV because YOU get to be the protagonist. 

I found a lot of ways I could relate to this character.  From crying over high school boyfriends to wanting a good education.  She felt marginalized a lot in this story.  Her parents didn't understand her ideas and she was often full of anger.  Sounds like a teenager that never grew up.

This is a good story of how minorities can feel different and lonely, and the POV allows us to step into their shoes.  I didn't like the scene at work, with her employees acting racist.  I also don't like that people called her Mexican when clearly she was not.  But I will be one to be honest on the subject:  I cannot tell!  I don't know the differences and probably couldn't spot them if I did, without practice anyways.  So it is best just to use the term Hispanic for all unless you are 100% sure.

CUBA.  A lot of immigrants from Cuba have amazing stories about making it across the sea and surviving.  That seems so crazy to me, that families would risk their lives, and the lives of their children to come to America.  It really makes me think that they must have it worse than I could image, otherwise I would see the justification. 

I like stories like this because you can better connect with the protagonist.  You know how they feel, and you live with them instead of just observing them.  While they can be a challenge to write, second person POV is fun to read.  I hope we read at least one more before the semester is over.


Until next time,

Keri Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment