Monday, November 8, 2010

Kite Runner One

This movie started out being more intense than I thought it would.  Amir flashes back to his childhood, and I'm sure felt a deep pain about how he acted back then.  Amir heard his father talking about how a real man stands up for himself, and decided to use this to teach Hassan a lesson.  Who is Amir to teach anything?  He is just a child.  Amir calls Hassan the coward, because that is what he has learned from his father.  But Amir is the real coward.  He has no love in his heart.  He feels angry and guilty and sad all the time about his mother, and you can tell he is deeply disturbed when you hear about the stories he writes.  He writes about a man who would kill his own wife to get rich.  This man loves his wife so much that he weeps while killing her, but every tear turns to a pearl making him rich.  What kind of child writes stuff like this?  Seriously, this boy's father should have got him help.

Hassan caught my interest from the start, when he, not even knowing Amir, told him if you ask me to eat dirt then I will.  I was like wow, what is up with this boy.  This boy is full of love.  He will not harm others, and keeps his honor this way.  Hassan is wise beyond his years.  I hated watching the scene where he gets raped.  People make me sick.  I cannot comprehend the way people act sometimes; I want to throw up.  I have mixed feelings about how Amir reacted, because he could not have fought off all those boys.  He would have gotten assaulted too.  But that's when you have to decide: how much do your friends mean to you?  Will you run, or stay to go down with them?  It would be a hard decision in this case, because fear is powerful.

The scene when Amir tries to get Hassan to fight back is also sickening.  I thought for a second he might, but then he smashes the fruit in his own face.  This was shocking to me, and it hurt my heart.  How can a boy this young be like this?  It is so hard for me to understand, because at 23 years old I'm not even sure if I could act this way.  It was sad, but inspiring.  I wonder how the rest of this movie will go, and how Amir will take his paralyzing memories of his own moral failure.




Until next time,

Keri Jo

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes when we lash out at others, we're really lashing out at ourselves. It's usually the person in a relationship who is cheating that accuses the other person of cheating. Once we discover a flaw in ourselves, we tend to project it onto others. Perhaps that's what Amir is doing.

    ReplyDelete