Thursday, November 4, 2010

Returning To "Cunanan's Wake"

I gained some knowledge about the history of the Philippines from class discussion.  I didn't know much at all about them, about them being ruled by Spain and then America.  Shows how much I care about history.  I thought that the language aspect was interesting.  I didn't know they taught English in their schools.  I thought that they spoke some kind of Asian language.  You learn something new everyday.

I am still disturbed by the violence and ignorance in this story.  They are animals!  I could not imagine living like that.  They have a strong sense of ethnic loyalty, however, that I am not used to.  I have observed this loyalty, with other races, but I have often wondered if the whites are the only ones without it.  Sometimes I feel like because we are not a minority in America, we lose a sense of fellowship.  Perhaps if I went to China or Mexico, I would see the same sense of community among white tourists that I see with minorities in America.

The characters of this story have that loyalty to their own, and although it is mislead and used in an extreme situation, I am envious of how it would feel to be like that.  I wonder if it is the same with other groups as it is with race.  For example, how musicians around musicians feel connected, or Christians among Christians.  I wouldn't know, because like I said, I haven't experienced that as a white person. 

In class, we also discussed the notes written by the editor and the doctor.  I thought that was very interesting, how she was in a mental hospital.  Maybe that is where I got the idea of that being the reality of the characterization in "People Are Strange."  If I did, it was done subconsciously, because I'm just realizing it. Neat.  I hope we can read more stories like these.  I like short stories, just fiction, better than the other genres.  I like escaping for a short time into someone else's mind.  It's neat.

Until next time,

Keri Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment