Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kite Runner: Part Two

After watching the second part of the movie, I have a lot of unanswered questions.  So, Ali and Hassan leave Amir and Baba's house, but where do they go?  Is it Hassan who has called Ali all of these years later, or did they never make it out of the Middle East?  Did they die in the war?  I really want to know what happened with Hassan, because I am really fond of his character.

Me siding with Hassan's character over all others is interesting, because literature is made so that the reader/viewer sides with the protagonist.  Almost always, at least.  But all I want to know is more about Hassan's life.  I think this is because of the big differences between Amir and Hassan's character.  Amir is a spoiled little brat.  He grew up with money and servants, and seems to look down upon them.  He has had a rough life without a mother, but his father has such great character that it should have rubbed off on him.  Instead, as a child at least, Amir appears to be a bad apple.  Hassan on the other hand, has learned much from his life of servitude.  He humbles himself, he will not fight back.  He has honor.  He cares about others more than himself.  He is filled with love for his fellowman and is wise beyond his years.  Hassan values life.  At least this is how I see it.  Amir, as a child, had a lot to learn.

When we saw parts of the war, and Baba standing up for that woman while they were in the wagon, I was amazed.  His character is so strong; I envy it.  That is what I would want in a dad.  He was someone with strong values; a real man, who stood up for a woman.  We don't see that as often as we used to.

In California, I was sad to see Baba working in a convenience store.  I never think about that when it comes to immigration.  Baba was somebody.  He was rich and successful and loved in his country.  Then, in America, he is a nobody.  When I was interviewing Paco for the encounter activity, he told me about this but even then I didn't really get it.  I guess I had to see it, through Baba's life.  That really sucks.  But he is proud of his only son who graduated from college and even though he doesn't want to be a doctor, his dad still loves him.  Amir is really lucky to have a dad like that.  Anyone would be.

There was a part when Baba brings up Hassan, says Hassan would be happy for you, or something like that.  You can see the shame, and maybe a hint of anger, across Amir's face when his dad mentions Hassan.  The general and his daughter come into the movie, and everyone could tell they'd end up together.  It was strange to me, however, that they decided to marry after only talking a few times.  They didn't even know each other!  How could they know they would get along?  Maybe this is a culture thing, a Middle Eastern tradition or something, but whatever it is I don't understand it.  Seems crazy to me.

I got really sad when Baba got sick, because I love his character.  Funny I like Hassan and Baba both more than the protagonist.  I did think it was funny that Baba didn't want a Russian doctor and freaked out on him.  Then he ended up with a Middle Eastern doctor.  Go figure.  But it was really sad because you know that Baba is going to die and you keep hoping it won't happen.  I did enjoy, however, the culture that played through in the funeral, as well as with the wedding.  I have some questions about that too.  I want to know more about this culture, the dances, the songs and what they mean, and about the little things like the mirror used at the wedding.  Hopefully these things can be answered in class tomorrow.



Until next time,

Keri Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment